So I turned 23 today.
Specifically at 12:45 am, EST.
And even though in the span of things, I’ve barely lived, I have learned an incredible amount. I always try and take life lessons away from every experience I encounter, however positive or negative, and let them mold me into who I am. At this point in my short journey, I’ve been through my fair share of pain, heartache, ecstasy, joy, discovery and realization, and I can only imagine where 2014 is going to take me.
In honor of my new age today, I’d like to share 23 things I’ve learned in my past 23 years.
(In no particular order of importance.)
23. Bad things only last if you hold onto them.
22. Starbucks Caramel Fraps are deadly delicious.
21. Death is natural, and you can’t live in fear of it.
20. Take a chance at reconnecting with old friends.
19. You have to work hard at all relationships, that’s what makes them worth it.
18. When you’re down, Buzzfeed is the answer, It’s actually always the answer.
17. Your parents will never stop thinking of you as their baby, so you should always be loving them as if you were one.
16. Everyone has opinions, and there’s nothing you can do to change that.
15. I will never give up on someone, no matter what they do to me. They are human, and they deserve love.
14. What you look like doesn’t determine who you are.
13. Everyone is photogenic, I wholeheartedly believe this.
12. Be jealous. Then figure out the underlying causes of your jealousy and try and fix it from the source.
11. Always, always, always dream big. But don’t forget to live at the same time.
10. Reading can, and will change your life. Books are awesome.
9. Handwritten notes, journals and sketchbooks.
8. Performing random acts of kindness, done anonymously, are SO personally gratifying.
7. Keep a camera on your person always, snapshots are worth more than any posed photo.
6. Film with always be my first love.
5. Tell the ones you love how much they mean to you every day.
4. Do you love kale? Cool. Do you love cupcakes? Cool. Eat what you want and forget the haterz.
3. You will fail, and you should expect to. You aren’t perfect, accept it and learn from it.
2. Creativity always hits at 3 am.
1. Say stupid things. Make a fool of yourself. Pretend like you’re the Queen in public. Don’t let anyone else dictate who you are.